Visit our Online Flea Market!

April 26, 2013


When I first saw this photo I thought how incredibly
cool it would be to have a vintage amusement park slide:


As I read the article that was attached to the photo I developed a lump in my
throat and felt very sad.  You see, this slide is standing in what was a day care
center in Pripyat, Ukraine, the town beside the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.


On April 26, 1986, the worst nuclear power plant accident in history happened
at Reactor 4 in the Chernobyl Plant.  A "zone of alienation" was established
around the plant, extending 30 kilometers in all directions, and still stands today.  Residents were evacuated, never to return. 

Ukraine officials and members of the International Atomic Energy Agency
estimate that the area will be inhabitable - unsafe for human life - for 20,000 years.

Ironically, this has been International Earth Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment