Visit our Online Flea Market!

April 10, 2012

A mental trip with lots of luggage . . . . .

Yesterday I sat for hours in the dentist's chair and tried to mentally transport myself to another place and time. While I wasn't able to completely block out the sounds of drilling, scraping, and probing, I did think about travel and the beautiful trunks and luggage our forefathers (and mothers) used on their journeys.




Not only are vintage trunks useful and beautiful 
accent pieces, they can provide lots of storage.





















I apologize for the pitiful photo above but the sun was shining brightly through our den
window overlooking the backyard and boat dock.  The trunk has been with me for decades.
Over the years I've used it as an end table, a coffee table, and a TV stand.  Recently I had 
piece of glass cut to fit the top of the trunk so that I could protect it from some of the scrapes
and scratches of everyday use.

If you can't find a trunk at a flea market or thrift store, eBay offers a wide variety of trunks 
and traveling chests priced at $40 to $1,500 and more:
















Janet of The Decorating Diaries graciously allowed me to use her photograph of the rustic 
trunk above. The trunk was missing the hardware for the lock so Janet ingeniously created 
a vintage shipping label to cover the hole.  It looks so authentic and charming!  If you find a 
trunk that's "too far gone" for restoration, just enjoy it's well-traveled appearance.  Thanks, 
Janet, for sharing - your site is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment