Visit our Online Flea Market!

March 18, 2015

A Rare Pink Time Capsule

Today's photos are rare indeed.  They show the kitchen of a house
built in the 1950s that was never lived in.  All of the appliances are
original and unused - the owner's manuals are still there.



Influenced by First Lady Mamie Eisenhower's favorite color, pink
became a standard color for kitchens and bathrooms in the 1950s.








 One of the first automatic dishwashers was installed:

 It slides out and loads from the top.


I like the idea of a wide 3-door refrigerator at
eye level.  Those should come back in style.

It's not clear why the house was never lived in but
I'm going to do some research.  I love a mystery!

9 comments:

  1. Oh PLEASE find out!
    What a interesting kitchen. Three door refrig.??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a mystery, I would love to know why it was never lived in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love that cool fridge! Where is the house and is it for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I've seen plenty of pink bathrooms but never a pink kitchen. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to the results of your research, it's an intriguing place. I'm not sure about pink in the kitchen though...

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible and intriguing. I like the idea of the fridge but it takes up a lot of what could be counter space. I've fallen for the dishwasher. I think it would be much easier to load from the top and easier to arrange the contents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This explains why my Mom wanted a pink, white, and gold kitchen. Same stove top.
    Lot of good memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this style so much! It's a shame people have felt the need over the years to pretty much eradicate these types of kitchens (and colorful tile bathrooms). Reproductions are too expensive for the average homeowner - or definitely too expensive for me, anyway!

    ReplyDelete